Harvey +6, Thursday Evening August 31, 2017

Right now, as you open this note, you are wondering - read with the voice of a 1940s movie promo announcer - did Nat survive Harvey?  Did he encounter monsters?  What is up next for our hero in the adventures of 'Middle Age Jewish Guy'!  (I crack myself up!)

Again, another productive day and some pics to provide perspective. 

My adventure was simply walking about .25-.5 miles out of our area by wading through water (about mid thigh at its deepest) and walking on lawns of neighbors to walk in either shallower or no water.  During my walk out, which was uneventful save for being a new experience, I saw more examples of my neighbors being amazing, awesome, and inspiring.

The first pic below shows a neighbor about a block away that, since he still had lawn left, created a staging area for people to head further into the subdivision to get their belongings from their flooded homes.  On his lawn, at no cost, he has water, soft drinks, ice, gas and oil for boat fuel, and just one terrific attitude.  What really made me smile and be grateful for my community was it wasn't just him but everyone was pitching in, there were people there in lawn chairs waiting for people to need help to get their stuff.  In addition, people use their lawn as a way station to drop off items and then make a second trip.   Truly a team effort and makes me proud of my community.  (There is another photo of a boat leaving this staging area).

The next photo is of the trucks and water shows another 'staging area' at the edge of our new neighborhood lake.  You can see a boat trailer and all the trucks of people parked as they head into neighborhood.  This might not be as interesting but I am amazed how this makeshift logistics line is put together on the spot simply by people being good people.

Speaking of people being good people a very well know (locally) and successful business man named Jim "Mattress Mac" McIngvale.  (He started selling beds and now has a whole bunch of stores through out Houston.)  When he saw what was happening to Houston he immediately told his managers to open all his stores to whoever needed help.  He had people make beds and setup his furniture to create spaces for people out of showrooms.   A great example of community leaders.   ----- OK that was our only commercial interruption and now back to our regularly scheduled program - ME.

After my trek out a friend picked me up and I went to his house to charge up our gear.  It was a nice air conditioned respite from the heat and he a grilled up a couple burgers and some tater tots.  Maybe not the lunch of champions but it totally hit the spot.   I then followed up that tremendous feat by immediately taking a 45 minute nap.  Afterwards we picked up some ice and headed back to Casa De Agua.  

While I was out Lisa made our nest a little more spacious by being awesome and reorganizing and moving some things around.  In addition she saved some more knick knacks. 

The final picture below is my amazing wife coming back from our kitchen, in the background, after cooking herself a quesadilla for dinner.  Our stove is gas and still works just fine.  I mean, come on guys, doesn't everyman love a woman in waders. (And the tortillas were completely safe and free from any contact with the gunk in our home).

As I am re-reading this 'post', thinking about my day, and looking back at some of the emails I received today I am again hit with overwhelming gratitude. Yes, my house is flooded and it does suck - no doubt.  However, I have an amazing community around me, an amazing family (this includes in-laws), fantastic co-workers and incredible friends.   All of these people inspire Lisa and me and make this an experience where we grow together as a couple and learn to lean on each as never before because we know, because of all of you, we will be just fine. 


Thanks again for all your help and support. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harvey +13, Thursday September 7, 2017

Harvey +8, Saturday September 3, 2017

Harvey +11, Tuesday September 5, 2017